Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Geraniums "Feel Like Home"

One of my favorite things about our neighborhood is our proximity to the Sherwood Gardens of Guildford. Every Spring they plant incredible tulips of all colors and sizes...this year there were some up to my knees! They weren't "Two-Lips" they were "Two-Hands"! We invited a couple over this year to enjoy it with us, and while chatting we realized that we love geraniums. They make such good "window box" flowers that they are familiar in so many different places in the world...just one of the things that bring us closer together!

My friend summed up our shared emotions towards geraniums so beautifully: "They feel like home." I love idea of all of us with geraniums in our windows reflecting our memories of different places... She grew up in Tehran and I in Andalucia, but we still have lots in common.

I realized that I know many, many people who feel the same way and so requested a Geranium image on CDAC, my favorite resource. IkesArt (based in Greece) responded immediately, and was gracious enough to work with me to create a pot of geraniums. Please visit her groovy online shop and check out the other geranium images! They are all wonderful, but I had a specific idea in mind...

Some time ago, I was moved by the card and the story behind this flowerpots-on-wall card by suzARTe, and swore that I would scraplift the idea immediately. Well, that didn't quite happen, but I finally found the perfect image for it. Thank you, Blog-Pals!

Inside:
Back with message section:
For the wall background, I really wanted to create a stucco look. For the flat parts I simply stamped my watermark ink pad directly onto the paper and heat-embossed it in white. I did the same with the brick stamp, which I made out of a scrap of foam-mounted rubber. It's not cling foam, so it was a bit tricky stamping...plus, I can't believe how well it came out considering I just "eyeballed" it. Sigh, one of these days I will smarten up and stop trying to stamp clear on white...it's like writing in invisible ink!

Stamps: Geranium Pots by IkesArt, corner flourish by K&Co., inside sentiment by StudioG, inside sentiment by Stampendous
Paper: Hammermill, Recollections
Tools: Fiskars papercutter, Marvy heat tool, MS border punch & detailing scissors
Other: ZipDry glue, Stampendous & embossing powders, Versamark watermark ink
Copics:
Pots: E08, R02, E11
Light pink flowers: RV11, RV23
Hot pink flowers: RV04, RV23
Red flowers: R59, R27, R29
Leaves: G99, YG67, YG03

3 comments:

  1. OMGoodness - this is one of the most unusual and stunning cards I have ever seen. That stamping of the brickwork is just genius and you've coloured the image beautifully... you're good with your Copics Girl :-)
    Thanks for letting me know and giving me the credits within your Blog.
    Pleasure doing business with you and do let me know if I can ever help in the future.

    Hugz
    Ike xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I am so flattered that you were inspired by my card. This card is just gorgeous, I love all the details and I also enjoyed reading your post.

    I have been really bad with commenting on blogs of late, got too stressed trying to post a comment three and four times due to the problems with blogger, I will be better from now on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.