Monday, February 20, 2012

Vellum Obelisk

My childhood best friend's father is turning 72 this week, and, for probably the first time in the 29 years I've known him, I made a card in time! I'm not very good at keeping up relationships, so I love being able to make & send cards to people; it helps me say much more than I ever could in words.

The birthday boy was also the High School art teacher. I took some lessons with him, but we both understood that I was much more inclined to concept than production; I remember him saying once: the perspective in this piece is interesting; everything is coming from a different perspective! He is a very talented and generous artist in his own right, and when I look back I realize that between him & my mom, we always had the best art supplies. Coincidentally, he's going to be visiting my parents this week as well. I really need to call his daughter!

I learned a lot about art from him, mostly by example. He had some gorgeous pieces in their home, including a wonderful collection of Obelisks, which is what inspired this card.

This was my first attempt at the Faux Silk technique. Right after making my card for the Gingersnap Creations' Faux Technique Challenge, I saw this technique on the Annabelle Stamps blog. Please do check it out, especially if you have a sticker machine, which makes the whole process much easier!

This is the second time I've entered this Color Combo challenge at Chocolate, Coffee & Cards; I just love it! What can I say, I love working with brown. My first card is here.

For the "silks", I stamped a Ditto pattern stamp with teal Versamark chalk and watermark inks.

For the Obelisk pieces, I stamped the same pattern in brown Memento ink onto Recollections Transparent paper (vellum), cut it into strips, and pieced them together and onto the white piece with vellum tape. I colored-in the pattern with a Copic marker.

Inspiration/Challenges:
Annabelle Stamps Challenge: Background stamps
Stampin' Royalty Challenge #111: Sketch (right; missed the deadline garshdarnit!)

5 comments:

  1. This is another great card. I love the unique design and papers that you used. CCCC is lucky to have you entered the challenge, and good luck. Join us again next time.
    Hugz,
    Christine DT at CCCC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally awesome and unique design!Thanks so much for joining us at AnnaBelle Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. something new for me.. I am sure your father's friend would love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an eye catching design.....Thanks for sharing with us at AnnaBelle Stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic card, perfect for the occasion!
    TFS with us this week :)
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.